Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Baroque Puns?

Dragon Fountain, near Vatican City, Italy  © Doug Hickok 
(Velvia Slide Film)


The baroque fountains of Rome are well known to travelers of Italy. Some of the most famous ones are the Trevi Fountain, and the Four Rivers Fountain in the Piazza Navona.

There are numerous others, but some of my favorites are the smaller, less conspicuous ones, like this intricately detailed dragon fountain near the Vatican. The ornamentation looks baroque in style to me. Yet, if you look closely, a missing head from the fowl figure (the result of foul play?) indicates something is broke on this baroque fountain. I hope the faulty stonework did not cause the sculptor to loose his commission... and go broke. Hopefully a financial settlement was made between the artist and his patron... unless of course the whole deal broke off... before the dawn of a new day broke over the city. In which case the baroque artist's ego would be broke for eternity.

(Ok... enough with the forced puns for this weak post... 

unless you force me to post enough puns for a week... ok?)




20 comments:

  1. Such an odd sculpture. Quite a comical looking dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. extreem colors with a brilliant result in frame

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is very very nice but maybe 'nice" it is not the right word:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me smile. Fun & interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. enough puns for one day...you're breaking my heart. but after a 24 hour break i'd love more. thanks for your excellent suggestions. would you like to meet while we're visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baroque but beautiful. Lovely colors and frame

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Doug, you do pick out some lovely details in your photo work.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're not only the master of masterful hues and compositions, master doug, but also of the masterly crafte phrase, methinks ...
    a very cool and modern looking fountain this is, with the dragon looking almost like a cartoon version of this fierce mystical creature!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful ornamentation in this fountain, I hope people there take good care of it with love, because it's adorable!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your shots, the bike, the church, the mountains an finaly this fountain, very variety and very colours photos.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lmao. Nice one man. Love that dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're cracking me up Doug--great witty post. I love this dragon; he's adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this fountain but I would have appreciate more if the eagle weren't there. It looks like being from another movie. Just the dragon for me, please!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice warm colours..good work
    Greetings, Miklos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice shot and beautiful colors!
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For some reason, the bottom figure in your lovely little cameo, reminds me of W.C. Fields - could be the nose - and his proximity to a (water) fountain also reminds me of his quote "I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming"

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol.. but yeah, i like how the light fades naturally downwards.. nicely captured..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...