Sunday, August 21, 2011

Chapel of Ease

Strawberry Chapel, Moncks Corner, SC  © Doug Hickok

Strawberry Chapel dates from 1725. It is a chapel of ease, which means it was built so citizens in the outlying parts of the parish could attend services without having to travel long distances to the main parish church.

It has been well preserved over the years and as with many old historic churches in rural areas, reports of strange happenings at night have given birth to ghost stories. These have sadly led to vandalism resulting in the property being made off limits to visitors. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...