Thursday, February 10, 2011

From the Archives - Winter Tree

Winter Tree, Great Smoky Mts. National Park, NC  © Doug Hickok

There's something to be said about good old fashion film. This image was made on slide film about 22 years ago, and when I found it recently in my stacks of old slide boxes, I marveled at the color.
The film had captured the hues of the mountain light in the evening hour perfectly and still retained it!  I like the hint of orange (in the little leaf still clinging to the branch) against all that blue and purple. By the way, this photo is from the Great Smoky Mountains, one of my favorite places to visit. I've been going there since I was a kid back in the 1960's, and have made regular visits since then. And, you know, there's something to be said about good old favorite places too...


14 comments:

  1. Une belle transfiguration colorée de la réalité!
    Bonne journée lumineuse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely spread of colors and elements! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. 22 years ago!?
    Wow, the colour is still unbelievably good.
    I guess it's like wine, the older the better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about the color in film photography that digital doesn't quite have.
    I have visited this park many times myself - it's my most favorite place to go hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right about everything, Doug...the slide, the colors, that leaf, winter, the Smoky Mtns., etc. All of it! I wonder if perhaps we crossed paths there in past years and never even knew it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really excellent color and light
    (i'm still using film occasionally)

    ReplyDelete
  7. j'adore ce travail sur les couleurs, superbe !

    ReplyDelete
  8. very beautiful indeed! i hope my slides have preserved the colours as i am about to have them digitalized, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors and detail are incredible. I really like your narration along with this image. The limbs reach out past the image to your memories of the Great Smokey Mountains (a place I have yet to visit).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...