|Roman Forum, Rome, Italy © Doug Hickok All Rights Reserved|
(Velvia slide film. Click on image for larger view)
In the foreground weathered steps and columns of the Temple of Antoninus and Faustina reveal the workmanship of ancient hands, while the dome of Santi Luca e Martina, and a statue on top of Il Vittoriano fill-in the background.
The Roman temple was begun in 141 AD by Emperor Antoninus Pius and dedicated to his deified wife, but converted into a Roman Catholic church in the 7th century. During the Renaissance it became the headquarters for the College of Chemists and Herbalists.
The church dedicated to Saint Martina dates from 625 AD, but in 1577 was given to a group of painters, sculptures and architects to house their academy.
The Victor Emmanuel Monument (Il Vittoriano) was completed in 1935 to honor Italy's first president. It features the statue of Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory on her chariot. Being one of the tallest buildings in Rome, the monument is also one of the most visible.
The Roman Forum is literally a timeline of human endeavor stretched out in stone for all to see and admire.