|Morris Island Lighthouse, near Folly Beach, SC © Doug Hickok|
When the Morris Island Lighthouse, also called the Old Charleston Light, was built in 1876, it stood on solid ground surrounded by a large sandy island. Before the lighthouse was built, a significant Civil War battle was fought on Morris Island at Fort Wagner, later featured in the film Glory. This movie followed the course of the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, one of the first major all black American military units.
Although time and erosion have vanquished the fort, and the sands that surrounded the lighthouse buildings, the lighthouse itself still stands, albeit with a slight tilt. It was decommissioned in 1962, but efforts have been underway to preserve and restore it, as is the case with many historic structures in and around Charleston.