Thursday, June 30, 2011

Throwback Thursday - Pan and His Delicious Cakes

Amish Farm Fields, Holmes County, Ohio  © Doug Hickok


I made this image several decades ago on Kodachrome film, and now, that seems like ages ago. What is curious is that a pastoral scene such as this, in a convoluted way, reminds me of Pan, the mythological god of fields, flocks and hay fever allergies. A little known item of interest about Pan is that he loved to bake. There is a story (which may be apocryphal) that tells of his fondness for baking cakes, cakes of all makes.

One morning, after a long night of faun frolicking, pan piping and cake baking, Pan found some leftover ingredients laying around his country kitchen, some flour, salt, sugar, eggs and goat's milk. Just to see what would happen, he decided to mix these ingredients together, pour in a skillet, and heat over his hearth. Lo and behold, he made a perfectly round, flat, delicious cake, which he topped with a scoop of fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Pan ate his new found concoction with much pleasure, complementing it with a steaming cup of French pressed coffee.

Hence, the discovery of Pan's cake, or what would become known as
pancakes. Yum!

25 comments:

  1. What a great story about how the pancake was born!

    And I like your photo of the darling haystacks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful depth to this image.

    I didn't know that was the word's origin. You're a good photographer and very knowledgeable too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Your poor readers... Are they really going to believe this? ;^)
    You know what. Pan was actually better in pranks than making pan cakes.

    The telephone engineer is coming to install my internet connection on the 11 July 2011.
    Now, that's a painful wait. Wonder how many pancakes could Pan bake during his period... Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice story but I'm not about to believe it! :-) I do, however, love this photo, it is soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome and unusul light, great depth too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your memories, very nice!
    And the picture is beautiful!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice story, it should be real. And a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still remember a few precious rolls of Kodachrome I used a long time go... Thanks for the great image and for the story I didn't know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha, that was fun!
    I like the way you used the lines to compose this picture. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shot. Still holds up after all those years. Like your story or should I say, tall tale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! I love the story and the photo!

    I never used Kodachrome, it just wasn't my time. But I was just reading Steve McCurry's blog the other day, he mentions on there that Kodak gave him the very last roll of Kodachrome and he personally hand delivered that roll and you can see some of the last photos taken by Steve on his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. funny story, with a very "convincing" word game! and an excellent image of a peaceful, bucolic countryside! this is how i remember the hay fields in salzburg province from when i was a kid, spending every summer holiday on a friend's farm. it was all very simple still, though they did use some machinery (as opposed to the amish, i guess)!
    (as to my garden pic of today - would you believe they only employ SIX full time gardeners to look after the whole island? i find this incredible!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Before I examined closely, thought these were cows off in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm convinced that colours on film, and not a digital photo, look much deeper. There is a special feeling in them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like colors and this composition in diagonale.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, that's a cool story. I do like my pancakes. :)

    Cool shot. I like the contrast between the foreground objects and the many in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely scene. Love how you've framed this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The presence of man's work in the nature - a very peaceful photo. Thanks for sharing, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice view on this pastoral scene. Kodack were making great films but Digital cameras have change the market.
    I love your picture of June 27th

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like your story, like your image to it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh how I miss the look of Kodachrome--great nostalgic shot Doug. I love the story of Pan and his cakes--too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your photography is brilliant. It sure takes me right there. Love this also

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha ha!
    I see you like talking crepe.
    And I like this crepe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...