Thursday, May 19, 2011

Throwback Thursday - Homage to Rothko

Weathered Window, Old House, near Chillicothe, Ohio  © Doug Hickok



I made this image on Kodachrome 64 slide film in 1986. Back then, I roamed the Ohio countryside in search of interesting subjects, and often discovered them in abandoned houses or barns. I recently found this transparency, 
in a sleeve of old Kodachromes, 
of a rustic window with squares of pealing yellow paint. It reminds me of a painting in the mode of Mark Rothko. He was a Russian-born American painter known for his colorful abstracts, influenced by among others, the Cubists and their simple geometric designs. He was at the peak of his career in the 1930's through the 1950's, as was this old house, it seems.



16 comments:

  1. It is really abstract, very interesting. I like it very much. Accordingly I like abstract art?
    I think I do :)
    I wonder why they painted yellow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very evocative photo, Doug. Old country houses, especially the deserted ones, offer quite often interesting subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this very much Doug!
    Hope to see more this year from those "roaming" days :)
    Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful combination of colors in this old window. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like a lot the texture!
    Very interesting idea about this picture!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly has an eye for detail!
    Well spotted.
    Amazing that you could turn something so mundane like this window into an abstract art!
    This art is very Hickokish.
    Distinctively Doug-style. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating. I love the effects of Mother Mature's wear and tear on man's creations. This one has particularly nice wood grain straing through the turquoise paint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a golden Rothko :-) Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, what a photo, doug! everything fits here, the colours, the textures, the composition and frame, ... i'm quite impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. really cool find, quite like these windows with the peeling yellow paint.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Attractive photograph and very interesting parallel. Up to now I have not known about Rothko and his abstracts. Thank you, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rothko is one of the few exceptions I make for my strictly before-1900 tastes. The similarity is real, now you have to find us a Pollock...
    By the way, thanks for the coming pictures of tall ships.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This strikes me as Rothko meets Paul Strand. Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very Rothko-esque. What a great find from your past Doug. Really cool image.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems that in those long gone days of yore - Kodachrome - you had a good eye for colour and detail. Who knows what other treasures you have like this - keep looking this one's a cracker.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...