Friday, April 22, 2011

Homage to Ernst

Sports Car Driver, King Street, Charleston, SC  © Doug Hickok

It's Favorite Photographer Friday (FPF), a feature I began on my blog last week where I link you to a photographer who has influenced my work in some way over the years. Today, I thought I'd dedicate my post to one of my all time favorite photographers, and one of the most influential photographers you may never have heard of, Ernst Haas. Born in Austria in 1921, he later became one of the first photographers invited to join Magnum Photo, where he began a long illustrious career. Haas is admired today for his pioneering work and innovation in color photography, especially with abstracts, reflections, motion blur, and highly saturated images. Many contemporary photographers make images in a style that Ernst Haas set the standard for decades earlier. Take a few moments to browse around his estate website and look through his amazing array of images. You may find yourself marveling at his ingenious vision. Perhaps he'll inspired you as much as he inspired me. 

Have a wonderful weekend!


17 comments:

  1. First, fantastic motion blur shot Doug. I have a real difficult time doing this well and you've nabbed a great one. Second, thanks so much for sharing info on Ernst Haas. I'm blown away by his work! FPF is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good motion blur picture!
    I also like the photos of Ernst Haas, he was a really talented photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clicked on the link, Doug, and can see why he has influenced you. What an inspiration, indeed!

    You, too, have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic inspiration and great realization.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fine photographer whose work looks so up-to-date even now. I throughly enjoyed looking at his work again. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic shot, the speed effect is beautifully rendered, magnificent job. I went to see the photographs of Ernst Haas, a true marvel, thank you for sharing. Good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the motion blur and the colors
    http://krikis.aminus3.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great effect with the blur here. Have a great Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, to be young and carefree again and cruise through a southern city in an open sports car ... nice capture with an attractive blur! (thanks for including ernst haas, a fellow countryman after all. i've admired his work ever since seeing it at an exhibition in vienna a couple years ago!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great image to illustate FPF, and a great photographer to showcase - a master of colour and an inspiration since I went to college eons ago...

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful sense of motion in this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the motion blur and the colored lights

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful photograph! good Easter

    ReplyDelete
  14. jolie photo, avec un beau mouvement coloré.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How many of the dynamics and expressiveness!
    Beautiful photo - well done

    ReplyDelete
  16. great image and nice accompanying text

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...